Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pet Rock

On Wedneday in class Dr. Sexton said we should find a rock, since its much cheaper than a goldfish, and bring it to class tomorrow. The objective for bringing the rock is to start at the bottom of the ladder and work our way up. The funny thing is that I've already done this.

One day me and my sister were playing outside and decided that we needed to make rock pets. Now, my dad has a thing for rocks and he uses them in all of the "landscaping" (I'm using the word loosely) around our house. Thus, there was no shortage of good specimens for us to choose from. However, just choosing the right rock wasn't all that was involved. At some point we had recieved a bunch of colored sand as a gift, so in order for the rocks to really become pets we slathered them with elmer's glue and brightly colored sand. Besides that I believe there were some markers involved.

After we had each completed about 2 or 3 rocks we wanted to take them inside and put them in our room where we could see them and love them everyday, but my mom would have none of that. She didn't want rocks in her house so instead she suggested we put them in the garden where she assured us they would be much happier. Since mom was in charge that's what we did, but it didn't mean we didn't love them any less.

I believe that children find it much easier to love than adults do. They're vision of the world isn't damaged by experience. They are able to see the good in everything and therefore able to love anything, even a lowly rock and that gives nothing back to them. They have a more pure view of the world and require less from. They give all of themselves into loving, something that I believe many adults are unable to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment