Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Stewie=Hermes




I was scanning the new blog entries to see what other students had written about recently and to see if any caught my eye when I noticed Luke’s short entry about the connection he had made between Hermes and Stewie Griffin from Family Guy. I’m surprised I hadn’t made this connection myself. I’m an avid Family Guy watcher and to me I think it is clear that Stewie is a very good version of Hermes.

For those of you who don’t watch Family Guy, Stewie is the baby of the Griffin family but he has already developed a talent for diabolical plans. His ultimate goal is to take over the world, of course, but normally he simply focuses on killing his mother Lois. Stewie doesn’t steal cattle, but he’s often hatching plans to make the lives of his family very difficult. Like Hermes Stewie is a baby, but he, like Hermes, is not the typical baby. He walks talks and wields various weapons in an attempt to kill his mother. Stewie really is a trickster and a trouble maker, the Star Wars spoof of the show says it all when, Stewie, of course, plays Darth Vader. Here is a link to part of this particular episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcL6DwSufMI&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment