Thursday, February 5, 2009

Athena in the Odyssey

As a high school senior I was asked to read the Odyssey as a class assignment. I’m not going to lie; I was pretty reluctant about reading it. It was long and it was written a long time ago. However, as I started reading I was totally taken in by the story. Even though the story was written a long time before I was born I still found the story intriguing and easy to understand and the characters relatable. Penelope had lost the man she loved, but she had remained faithful to him for 20 years and his son who held on to the belief that somewhere his father was still alive.

However, the character that most intrigued me was Athena. She was so devoted to getting Odysseus back to his family no matter what and she went up against many of her fellow gods to do it. Now as previously discussed in class Athena was the quite the daddy’s girl so he stood behind her in her quest to return Odysseus but there were still some major obstacles to overcome like the Cyclops and Calypso. Why was Athena so attached to Odysseus? It wasn’t sexual, she never tried to seduce him, so did she want to return him to his family? But that doesn’t really fit either since she’s the goddess of war. So why did she care so much for Odysseus? He was a great soldier, but is that all you have to be to earn the respect of the great goddess of war?

No comments:

Post a Comment