Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ovid's Metamorphisis

So far Ovid's metamorphisis is my favorite book that we have read for class. I really enjoy his writing, and find myself captured by the stories he tells. As we have discussed in class they are the extremes of human emotion and I find myself responding emotionally to them. I believe that shows that Ovid really is a good writer. He writes stories that evoke emotion and allows his readers to live out the experiences of his characters.

I am always amazed at how ancient literature can still be relevant today. That is something that has only been reinforced by this class. The stories of Ovid are things that we still see today, in one form or another. Like the story of Callisto who becomes pregnant and then is cast out from her family. There are stories of young girls being abandoned by their family on the talk shows all the time. Also the story of Echo and Narcissus is another that still has a place in modern day. Unreturned love is more and more common today and while the men may not fall madly in love with themselves, they usually think that they are pretty awesome. The story of Midas is a prefect example of the saying "be careful what you wish for."

More than any other book that we have read, to me, Ovid's Metamorphisis shows up more in modern day. I have throughly enjoyed hearing everyone's stories and look forward to more Ovid on friday and perhaps meet more of Ovid's talk show guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment