Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cupid and Psyche






Cupid and Psyche was one of my favorite stories from the Golden Ass. It spans 3 chapters and I finished all three chapters at once, unable to put the book down before I finished the story.






Cupid goes against his mother's wishes and weds and beds Psyche himself. One thing that I found most interesing about the story was Psyche stay in the empty castle. She has nothing other than voices and magic to keep her company, but she seems happy enough. She had always wanted to marry and it seems that just being in the state makes her content. I was fascinated by the way that Psyche is able to fall for cupid without ever seeing him. His voice and his love is enough. It is the makings of a true love story. In the end Psyche is tricked by her wicked step sisters (Cinderella anyone?) and she loses her beloved Cupid. When Psyche is under Venus's control she is given many impossible tasks, but repeatedly other gods take pity on Psyche and help her complete said tasks. It again shows the power of love. The love Psyche has for Cupid inspires others and I think helps her case when all appears lost.






As doctor sexton promised there are lots of pictures on the web of Cupid and Psyche. Here are just a few that I found:













No comments:

Post a Comment