Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mothers and Daughters and Sisters

Today in class we were talking about the relationship of a mother and a daughter. It is a mystery to many men and something that is sacred to those of us women involved. I, of course, participate in this sacred relationship. Before we starting talking about the mother-daughter relationship in class I never really saw it as sacred or special. However, after reading the story of Demeter and Persephone I started to examine my own relationship with my mother. Our relationship has never been through anything like what Demeter went through, but I realized that my mother would do anything for me and it is sacred. None of the men in my life really understand that special connection we have.

After thinking about my mother I turned my thoughts another relationship that I think men just can't possibly understand. That is the relationship between sisters. Its not that sisters don't fight just as much as brothers, but I think its that we share different childhood activities as children that bond us in a very special way. When boys are punching each other and shooting each other with toy guns, as boys will do, girls are playing tea party and barbies. They support each other in everything and some day when they have both grown up they become best friends. Most men don't understand the unique relationships between women and very often are annoyed and most times baffled by them, but they've been around since human kind has been around so men: just get used to it, its not going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment